Monday, November 24, 2008

Block 41

This one has quite a few pieces, but at least they're the same thing. :)

I started this one off with all the 1/2 square triangles. Is anyone interested in more detailed tutorials for the specific block elements that keep repeating themselves or should I assume everyone is familiar with them?

I cut my squares 1" instead of 7/8" larger than the finished size, draw my diagonal line and sew 1/4" away on each side of the line. I do need to square up each block, but that extra 1/8" makes a big difference to the accuracy of the finished square. There are days that little extra wiggle room is a life saver!

Here are all the 1/2 square triangles ready for squaring up.

I then cut the remaining pieces and laid everything out.

I made rows of the 1/2 square triangles. This block I was very careful with the pressing. I alternated the direction of each row so the seams would not all end up on the same side of the seam. It's going to be bulky enough without that.

I put the rows together and added the red border. (Were I to do this one again, I think I'd leave the red border until the end.)  I then appliqued the handle onto the large red 1/2 square triangle and added it to the block.

And there you have it. Block 10!

3 comments:

Yvette said...

This looks fun to make! I really like that red heart fabric.

Kristie said...

Love it!!! I am so far behind!! I think I will put everything away and except for this quilt and work on it after Thanksgiving!!!
Kristie

josephine219 said...

I am soooo impressed by your NI blocks. Apparently you have mastered how to sew these by machine? I am looking for advise to do so myself. What can you share with me to get me started? I am just chicken and shie away from tackliong this!