Sunday, July 26, 2009

Block 12

Here is our next block all laid out and ready to go.  The bundle of squares at the top right are cut ready to turn into 1/2 square triangles for the corners.
 
Here is the block after the first round of piecing.  I've done the 1/2 square triangles and have begun piecing the centre 16-patch and attaching the strips for the outer border.

When ever I do long strips they end up curving.  So I decided to avoid that and do the centre square as four 4-patches.  Here we are with the 4-patches assembled (and reduced to a larger 4-patch) and more work for the outer border.

Here is the centre assembled.  The border strips are together as well.  (And fortunately not too wonky :)  Can you see that the block is now a 9-patch?

And here is our next block done!

We're still in the middle of a bit of a hot spell, so until that's over I'll be sticking with the simpler blocks.  We'll just call it our summer holidays... :)

2 comments:

merumo said...

Hi, I have been following your blog for NI quilt and got inspired by your beautiful red/white blocks. Then now I got my book!! But not sure how to star the block as there is no measurement of any. How do you figure it out? Do you simply measure each one of the piece and add 1/4" to cut? I am confused alaready :(

Mary said...

I've been following all along even though I rarely comment. You always make it look so easy! I haven't even pulled fabric yet but I'm really inspired to start. I've had the book for quite a while.