Sunday, May 3, 2009

Block 37

This block, while not complex does have a lot more pieces than the blocks we've done these past few weeks.

Instead of laying out everything at once and overwhelming everyone with it all, here are the pieces for each of the main elements.  Both the corner and centre blocks start off with square-in-a-square.  While the middle edge blocks are hour-glass blocks.

If you notice the corner blocks, they're not quite a standard square-in-a-square block.  What I did was cut the four white triangles to fit the largest triangle and treated the block exactly like the traditional square-in-a-square.  When you trim the first two triangles, you just end up taking off much larger dog ears and your block looks a little like this:

Here we are with the hour-glass blocks, the first round of square-in-a-square blocks and the red & white 1/2 square triangles for the centre square all ready to go.

For the sides of the hour-glass blocks I cut the strips wider than needed and trimmed after sewing.  This helps make the tiny strips a little more accurate.

Here we have the second round of square-in-a-square blocks and the hour-glass blocks trimmed and ready.  Plus, I've laid out the rest of the pieces so we see everything for the whole block.

Here I've added the white borders to the hour-glass blocks and added the next border to the centre block.

Now I've put the top and bottom rows together and finished off the centre block.

Here we have the middle row sewn together.

And, finally, the finished block!

I think this one turned out pretty interestingly and enjoyed making it more than I thought I would when I first looked at the block diagram.  I hope you enjoy it too.

2 comments:

Yvette said...

I like it!
Thanks again for all the detailed photo's.

Rina said...

Yours looks great again. I made this one already.