Monday, November 9, 2009

Block 85

This week's block is not too bad.  Lots of practice available for square-in-a-square and 1/2 square triangles.

The only tricky thing is that middle 1/2 square triangle.  If you look at the pattern, you'll see that the middle triangle of each side of the outside border is a rectangle!  Not a square!  Sadly, I didn't see that until a little later, but I was able to cheat and avoid re-doing those squares.  Since I cut my squares 1" bigger than the finished size instead of 7/8" that proved to be enough wiggle room to cut the rectangles out of the same pieces I cut the squares from.  (Does this make sense??)

Anyways...

Here is everything set out and ready to go.

Here is everything with the 1/2 square triangles sewn and trimmed.  Notice the narrower middle triangles but also note that the sewing line still runs from corner to corner.  I also started the square-in-a-square merry-go-round for the centre.

Here the triangles are sewn for the outer border and you can see the square-in-a-square continues for the centre.

Here the square-in-a-square-in-a-square-in-a.... centre is finished.

And tada!  Our next block is finished!

No comments: