Monday, November 23, 2009

Block 17

While this block may have a lot of pieces, there is nothing tricky.  So, don't let all the pieces intimidate you.

My advice on this block is to mark up the line diagram with the colour/fabric for each piece and refer to is as you go along.  (Even doing that, I had to rip a few and flip things as this block progressed)

Here they are all laid out and ready to go.  Though without the outer flying geese border.  Not sure how that happened.

Here I've done the flying geese on the borders and started on the hour-glass blocks.  I tend to cut triangles a little larger and trim down.  If you're looking at this one, yes, for some reason they are a little bigger than expected.  Oh well, easy to trim down and better too big than too small.

Here are the hour-glass blocks finished and trimmed down to size.

Now it's just assembly.  I treated this one like a mini quilt and assembled in in rows.  (Yes, there are a few blocks out of place in this photo, fortunately I caught it later).  When pressing, I pressed towards the plain blocks (the 1-patches).  This was the easier side to press towards and it made sure than the seams will nest nicely when attaching the rows.

Here the rows are attached and the block done!

I hope you all have a great week.

3 comments:

Yvette said...

Oh no! This one is going to take a LONG time.

Your block came out great, as usual.

Julianne said...

Mmmmm!! This one does look tricky!!

Julianne said...

Had a go at this one over the weekend. After last weeks block (54) I decided to do all the square in a square blocks first. I then joined the centre ones as a 9 patch, followed by the 4 triangle sections. I thought it was easier to do it this way, especially by hand, as all those small triangles would certainly have me nearly insane!!!

Looking forward to next weeks!!