Sunday, January 4, 2009

Block 49

Okay, here is our first tough one. There are enough pieces that I didn't want to count them. :)

There are lots of 1/2 square triangles in this one, unfortunately they're not all square and they're not nice measurements to work out, so paper piecing it is.

I'm not sure, if you can see it in the picture below, but I numbered the columns A, B, C, etc in addition to numbering the paper piecing order. I needed to to keep track of them when putting things together. I also labeled each piece (L)ight, (M)edium, and (D)ark so I knew what fabric to put where. (It's a little tough when everything is all sliced apart)

After the prep, it's all easy. Here everything is paper pieced, trimmed, and ready to go. Unfortunately, I was on such a role that I forgot to take pictures of the intermediary steps.

I first sewed the centre stripes together to make the centre square. Then I removed the paper and pressed everything. Then I added the corners, just like I would for a square in a square block.

And now we have our first tough block done. Yeah!!

2 comments:

Yvette said...

You weren't kidding about this weeks block.

Yours looks amazing!

I think I will tackle this a little at a time.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love it! I'm pretty sure that the next quilt with tiny pieces I make will be this one. I do want to wait until I get done with Dear Jane though or I will never finish either and that can't happen! I always finish what I start and don't want to ruin my record now :) I think I will do mine in indigo blues and white.