Monday, December 28, 2009

Block 18

Here's to ending the year off with a bang!  (or a whimper)  According to the book, this is the block with the largest number of pieces.  

And, yes, it did take me longer than anticipated to finish (hence the late post) but it wasn't difficult.  Just time consuming.

My tips are to pay attention to the direction you are pressing in to minimize bulky seams and to measure and square up the sections as you move along.

Well, this block starts of with a pile of 1/2 square triangles.

Here is the block with all those 1/2 square triangles set out.  First I worked on the centre.  I did the Ohio star block in the centre.

And added the borders around.  Plus, I started connecting all those 1/2 square triangles.

Here I am turning the triangles into rows.

Now it's been reduced to a simple 3 patch. :)

And here it is finished! 

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and are looking forward to the New Year.  Did you realize that, keeping to one block a week, we'll be finished all the blocks in 2010!

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Block 63

Here is our next block set out and ready to go.

Here is the block with the centre square-in-a-square assembled.  Plus, I added the posts to the dark triangles and started assembling the triangles in the outer corners.

Now I've completed the outer corners of the block and the centre square.  For the centre square, I used the square-in-a-square method and then trimmed it down to size.  This way I was able to use the simple building blocks without fussing with centering things or any funny cutting.  It does waste a little fabric though.

Now the next border has been added.

And finally the corners added and the block trimmed down to size!

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Block 5

A more simple block for the second Sunday in Advent.

Here is everything set out and ready to go.  That small pile of squares is for 1/2-square triangles in the corner.

Here we are with the centre 4-patch assembled and 1/2-square triangles in the corner.

Now the centre square-in-a-square and the remaining triangles for the corners have been added.

(I almost forgot to take a picture of this the next step)  So, ignoring the attached red rectangle, I attached the next border.

And the next border.

And finally, the outer triangles to make up our next block.