Monday, June 29, 2009

Block 2

A quick and simple block for us.  :)

Here everything is set out and ready to go.  You'll notice that the first set for square-in-a-square I used a different method.  The centre square isn't an even measurement so I used the squares method instead of the triangles method for the first round.

Here is the first square-in-a-square...

And the second....

And the third....

And finally the last border has been added.

Something to make our slightly shorter week a little simpler.


I ended up with surprise plans this weekend and no time left to make a block. I'll be doing that tonight and posting something then.

Sorry, this one will be late.

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Block 89

After last week, I figured we really needed a simple block.  This is another one of our edge blocks, so don't be too worried about the colours.  Once again, the brights are for the method - make the block and slice it in half.  The red and whites are for the method - make the block as two separate triangles.

Here is everything a laid out and ready to go.

Here I've sewn the centre 4-patch and put posts (the white) on the striped border.  (Yes, I chain piece where ever possible)

Here the centre 4-patch becomes the centre of a square-in-a-square block.

The next border added.

And one last square-in-a-square later and we have our block!

Here is everything all laid out if you are making the two triangles (aka - you want the seam allowance)

I added the triangles to the centre square to create the centre triangles.  Plus I added the posts to the maroon rectangles.

Here are the red triangles added, making  funky flying geese.

Now the next border added.

And finally the outer triangles.

I hope this one is much smoother than last week's...

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Block 45

This block looks daunting at first but it's not so bad.  There are just a lot of pieces to keep track of.  I'm not sure if you can see it in the picture below, but I assigned each piece a number, value, and direction.  The diamonds are almost, but not quite the same size in each direction.  I also did this block using templates.  The diamonds are an odd size in one direction.  I really couldn't see a way to make this easier by paper piecing but if anyone can see it, please let me know.
Here is everything set out and ready to go.  If you notice on the corners, I've sewn the 1/2 square triangles and just put a template on the one half.  I left the paper on throughout just to help keep track of the pieces.  I was debating whether or not to do this one by hand but in the end went with the machine.

The trick to this one is to pay attention to the way you press your seams.  Make sure they're pressed to the opposite sides.  This will make your piecing easier and minimize the bulk in the seams.

Here we are with the first pairs of diamonds.

Now the pairs of diamonds are together.  Again, paying attention to the way you press your seams.

This time when I pressed the seams, I chose to go clockwise.  This will minimize some of the bulk in the middle.  When you are sewing these sets together, it is important you end 1/4 from the end of the fabric on the outside corners.  This will make your life much much easier on the next step.

Now we tackle the Y-seams.  I take them in two steps always sewing from the outside to the inside.  This helps to prevent puckers in the fabric and ensures that your corner fabric doesn't stretch out.  Pin your fabric together and mark 1/4 from the end.  Sew up to but not past the pin.  Stopping a thread or two before the pin is better than going slightly over.  Backstitch.  (You need to backstitch in the corner because there will be nothing preventing your seam from unravelling.)

Now you do the same thing for the other side.  Remembering to stop just before the pin and backstitch.  If you notice from the picture below, I fold the fabric out of the way so that I'm not fighting it while sewing.

Press so that the triangle is flat.  If you need to, you can trim a little of the bulk of the seam in the corner to help things lay a little flatter.

Here things are with the 4 corners attached and the 4 pieces put together.  Now attach the middle triangles using the same technique for Y-seams above.

Here is the finished block, ready to go.

And another of the more time consuming ones behind us. :)

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Block 39

Okay, this isn't the scary block I was warning you about last week.  I'm still working on that one. :)

This one is essentially a square-in-a-square block surrounded by many borders.  Here is everything all set out and ready to go.

Here I've constructed the square-in-a-square and sewn what I could for the inner and outer borders.  Now we're ready for lots and lots of 'round and 'round the block.

Here is the inner border attached.  (Plus the handle of my rotary cutter managed to sneak in :)

Our middle border attached.

And finally the outer border attached.