Sunday, August 9, 2009

Block 19

This block has quite a few 1/2 square triangles along the edge.  I really didn't want to leave the square with all sorts of biased edges exposed.  So, I made the corner blocks using the regular formula for 1/2 square triangles but, for the edges, I cut 1/4 square triangles.  To make them large enough, I measured the short side of the triangle and added 1 3/4" inches to the measurement to get my measurement for the square.  Then I cut the square into 4 triangles as shown below.

Here is the block laid out and ready to go.  I've done the 1/2 square triangles for the centre pinwheel.

Once I completed the centre pinwheel, I approached this block as a little mini quilt set on point.  First I created strips.  The trick here is to pay attention to your pressing.  I made sure I pressed away from the pinwheel (to minimize bulk) and then made sure for each row I alternated the direction of my seams.

I then sewed the strips together.  Then I added the corner triangles.  I left them to last just because I like to.  There is no real reason they couldn't have been done as part of the strips.

And here is our next finished block.

1 comment:

Julianne said...

Hi there,

I have been following your blog for quite a few months and have been dying to start my NI quilt.
two weeks ago I did my first block and now I am seriously hooked!! I love your blocks and the red and white is really striking. I am following your instructions and am so glad I now have an easier way to do Flying Geese. I have done 9 blocks so far, and maybe I will catch up to you all!!

Thanks for your inspiration!!